dns at home

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Oct 3 13:13:56 MST 2012

Hi Derek,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan at gmail.com>wrote:

>  I'm thinking of running dns at home on my linux box(kubuntu 8).  I don't
> want a caching server.  Would this be difficult to set up?  Would this
> consume a lot of bandwidth?
>
> There are some security risks but as long as you configure it right there
should be no problem.

Named installs easily.

Setting up a split dns profile is easy, but it would actually be better if
you have a subnet of IP addresses?

No, it doesn't consume alot of bandwidth, since it's on the local net, it
will reduce you inbound/outbound bandwidth.

http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Split_dns

> Thanks
>
> --
> "One mistake up here and it’s half a day out with the undertaker!"
> - Fred Dibnah

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice