OT: Which news source(s) do you prefer?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Oct 2 23:36:28 MST 2012

At the end of the day, all news agencies are trying to make a buck,
which means they're selling interest in products or view, which lead
back to product via some level of marketing.  They tell you what you
want to hear, usually varying for the pitch, but the idea is to hook you
long enough to push a commercial that results in a sale for a vendor of
theirs.  They exist to track you, as their ancient business model
mandates such behavior.  Technology to resist scare them.

Beauty of the internet, is via various privacy modes in browsers,
plugins, and simple os security you *can* mitigate most invasions, even
casual (and taken for granted, ahem facebook) ones today.  Browsers
traditionally have been the worst in giving up privacy (thanks
microsoft), but noscript alone does wonders, as do other plugins
mentioned to halt marketing/tracking nonsense.  Good thing some decent
humans create plugins against corporate greed mongering and/or stupidity.

RSS scraping/aggregating also speeds up perusal significantly hitting a
_lot_ of content/news each day without the ads as you really don't care
about 20x banners per 40 different "omg iphone" stories across various
different sites you'll hit a day.  Your data provider probably
appreciates a lot less downloaded temporary crap too, especially on
mobile when you're taxed per gb.  I use greader on my phone to read the
news, synch realtime to google reader, and finish or review news later
from my desktop.  Splendid setup actually, highly recommended.  If your
bullshit meter goes off with a feed, replace them.

I get as much or as little news as I want across a lot of material this
way.  I'm pretty rarely caught unknowing about most major happenings I
actually care to know about.

-mb