About Michael Havens, the list and the people...

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Fri Nov 30 09:29:47 MST 2012

The point of a LUG is to get people interested in Linux and build skills.
This is why you have install days etc.  I work daily with people who don't
want to use Linux but have to on their servers. Linux is an acquired taste
for some. My wife and kids had to be taught to love it after my 5th time
reinstalling their computer because they hosed windows.

Google is like common sense. Everyone has access and should contain a small
amount of knowledge in using it. Fact a good chunk of my day is spent
working as a google proxy for others. People lack common sense and the
ability to type a few words in to google. The flip side of that is knowing
how to read results. Sometimes the first, second forth page of google is
irreverent or is the 1200th person asking a question and no one has an
answer.  I consider my self a professional google user. It is 1/2 my world.
I have recently started burrowing in to python and some things (yum) are
documented by a 3 year old or not at all so you have to turn to other
resources. I am happy to say even when I ask something I know is reaaaaaaly
dumb the python folks have been pretty awesome to me.

tl;dr  Lugs try to attract people, these people likely know nothing, asking
a community like this sometimes yields higher quality results than
searching.  You should be happy they asked rather than moving on, teach
them to fish.
tl;dr for tl;dr Be excellent to each other.

James Finstrom