virus

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Nov 9 11:22:29 MST 2012

Hello All!

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Bob Elzer <bob.elzer at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I too read frustration and sarcasm in his post
>
> It did remind me of one linux operator that got tired of rogue machines
> probing his linux box trying to infect it with windows exploits. One in
> particular, that I can't remember now.
>
> He wrote a script that targeted that particular exploit and would infect
> the machine attacking him and actually clean the exploit off the infected
> machine and then remove itself.
>
> Even so, it was illegal for him to do that, but I do wish someone would
> allow this kind of script to clean up all the infected machines.

That's an interesting response, however fraught with consequences.

First year computer science students are often asked, as flow charting
exercise, to model "ethics" in society.  Golden Rule, Turn the Other Cheek,
Hit Back with a Bigger Hammer, are all modeled into a virtual society.
 Interestingly in this exercise, which do you think was found to be most
successful?

Yes, it is "Hit Back with a Bigger Hammer"

Of course, the only part that was not modeled was the consequences of the
law, assuming that if there was no law available to resolve the problem,
there would be no consequences.

There are things that can be done with regards to various types of scammers:

1) These scams can be reported to various authorities:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/global-resorts-network.aspx

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/FBI_LocalOffices.php

2) Tracking via cookies

Setting tracking cookies in response email can provide additional
information related to the end source.   Many people will be surprised to
learn they are actually originating in the US but hopscotching to other
countries to reduce the chances of their arrest.

3) Depending on the scam, scam the scammers (aka scambaiting):

http://www.troyhunt.com/2012/02/scamming-scammers-catching-virus-call.html

http://www.419eater.com/

There are various discussions of how to straddle that thin grey line
between joining the criminal and staying in the solution.

> On 11/9/2012 8:27 AM, keith smith wrote:
>

> I think he was just blowing off some steam.  If so no harm no foul.

> Keith Smith

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice