Which linux distro

Patricia Wilson wilson.pr.gm at gmail.com
Fri May 18 20:06:21 MST 2012

Ditto. Ubuntu certainly is easy to install but once installed the default
desktop sucks big-time (unless you are running on a touchscreen). There
oughta be a line somewhere in the install instructions for newbies: "At
initial login select Gnome classic."

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Kevin Fries <kevin at fries-biro.com> wrote:

> I have to agree.  Unity sucks so bad I have a hard time recommending
> Ubuntu.  But Gnome Shell has stabilized and with a small amour of tweaking
> (I.e. installing of themes) I would place my Gnome desktop against any Mac
> desktop for clean, professional looking desktop.
>
> This afternoon I even had a Windows user looking over my shoulder at work,
> and his comments about how he should try Linux again based on how friendly
> and easy to look at my screen was.
>
> Whatever you do... the default theme on both Unity and Shell is nothing
> special.  Gnome-Look.org is your friend.
>
> Otherwise, I would use Mint.
>
> Kevin
> On May 18, 2012 8:52 PM, "Stephen" <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have gnome 3 on 12.04 figured out.. it is certainly growing on me.
>> On May 18, 2012 7:16 PM, "Carruth, Rusty" <
>> Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com> wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm still at ubuntu 10.04 *entirely* due to Unity.  Gag me - I
>>> have a COMPUTER, people, this is NOT a phone!
>>>
>>> Oh, sorry, I'm back on that soapbox! :-)
>>>
>>> But, anyway, yes, I *can* use just about any distro, but I use Ubuntu
>>> because I want it to work and I don't need to prove I can do hard stuff.
>>> But then, I'm a native Unix/Linux speaker..., so YMMV!
>>>
>>> Rusty

Sent from my super hot-shot dual core 64 bit Gateway running Ubuntu 11 from
the chrome/teakwood/glass desktop in my Luxo Scottsdale condo.

Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL
WB8DXX