I got a message from google this morning.

Technomage Hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:55:23 MST 2012

changing passwords often is definitely a good rule to live by. making them memorable should also be made easier, especially if you use a couple of tricks. I won't go into them here as this list is publicly searchable.

one thing I use (on a mac) is a keychains file. you have to know the user password to open it and you also have to confirm that password to view the password field in each entry. this allows me to memorize 1 password and make any of the site specific passwords as complex as I want. I am not sure they have such a key management setup in linux, but it would probably be a good idea.

also, generate a gpg key pair, put your public key on the remote shell machine, change the settings in sshd.conf to use that public key (this will turn off the password prompt). this way, getting into your remote shell sessions gets a lot harder for would-be attackers. its little tricks like these that will save you a lot of problems later.

btw, as soon as I change passwords on my accounts, keychains comes up and asks if I would like to save the new password. I say yes and go on with life. mind you, keychains is an OS X thing, but there should be similar utilities for linux (and if there is not, someone can code one).

-eric