rsync issues

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Sun May 13 00:55:26 MST 2012

An rsync "module" is a defined virtual target in the rsyncd config as
explained in http://transamrit.net/docs/rsync/ which gives you greater
control of resources you open up to be rsync'd.

The exclude-from option gives certain files you can prevent from synching,
while the exclude option is a pattern you can match.  The opposite of which
are include-from and include, respectively.

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> okay.... you inspired me to read the man page for rsync. Now for the
> questions:
> -I don't get the double colon (::)
> -What is a module? the man page says that the first word of the pat is the
> module name..... I don''t get it!
> -I am using a different browser on each machine. as I rsync it syncs
> .mozila  files and .chromium files. Could I do
>
>   --exclude-from=*mozilla*
> and
>   --exclude-from=*chrom*
>
> to avoid copying these files? or am I mistaken in what I need to do
>

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> you can tell rsync to delete with a switch. you just have to trust
>> yourself with file deletetion :-)
>>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > yeah. looks like I copied the files with the locks in place so I copied
>> the
>> > locks. then when I closed the files and rsynced again it didn't delete
>> the
>> > locks because rsyn doesn't delete things. I still think we should have
>> the
>> > option of deleting the lock when libreoffice detects it!
>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

> --

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com