syslog stuff (was RE: wireless stoped working)

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Thu May 10 08:43:40 MST 2012

I didn't know it all, but I do know that /etc/logrotate.conf and
/etc/logrotate.d control, well, log rotation.

ISTR that "In the old days" syslogd would use 2 criteria to decide
whether to rotate the log - size of file and how long it had been since
last rotation.

I don't remember all the rules (like, if the file is zero length, does
the rotation happen anyway, or not), but do remember that you could get
a log rotated either because of size OR time.  A perusal of
/etc/logrotate.d/* will reveal a lot of interesting stuff...  (Along
with a man page perusal J)

Notice that there are nifty 'commands' like 'rotate 10' and 'weekly'
which tell syslogd to keep 10 <unit of rotation time>'s copies of the
logs ('rotate 10'), and rotate the log files once per week ('weekly'),
regardless of size.  There are others, like 'compress' (to compress
them), and 'delaycompress' which apparently does not compress the 2 most
recent backup log files.

So, this means that somewhere in the configuration you should find
'daily', 'compress', 'delaycompress', and 'rotate 8' being applied to
/var/log/syslog.

On a slightly different topic, I have found that some versions of 'less'
will automatically decompress compressed files to text.  Or at least,
one time I mistakenly said 'less /var/log/syslog*' when some of them
were zipped, and LO! I didn't see any binary junk - it decompressed them
for me.  YMMV!

Rusty