permission denied on a flash drive

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 08:45:16 MST 2012

well... the pendrive was for backups. I just reformated it with gparted..
Hopefully that will fix it. Let;s see!....
.
.
.
yep.... that fixed it!
sorry I didn't think of reformating it  before I posted that question. But
that brings up thequestion..... what If I needed the data on the drive? How
would I recover it?

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Stu <wien33 at cox.net> wrote:

>  Hi Mike,
>     I have run into similar situations and have had some luck recovering
> locked-out flashdrive files using a live distro like Puppy, (Macpup 525 was
> the last version I used). I've tried to access these files using the file
> browser as root, (sudo nautilus in Mint) but for some reason the root user
> is not generally allowed to change file permissions on USB drives - a
> security thing I imagine. I'm sure there's someone here who can tell you
> how to do it though.
>     Stu
>

> On 05/05/2012 08:43 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
> I got a flashdrive and I plug ot into a computer. Nothing appears saying
> I've plugged new media in and what do I want to do with  it. So I open the
> /media and see my drive. SO I click it and get the  improper permissions to
> view directory error. So I tried changing the permissions of the drive  but
> it said 'not today!' So IO plugged it into the other computer and I get the
> question about what to do with the new media. So I click on it and go into
> the directory  and I caan see all the pdfs I have on the drive but when I
> try to open a file that is editable the computer says the file is in use
> and asks if I want to open a copy or as read-only. I deleted the lock files
> so I don't know what it is talking about. Any clue what is going on? What I
> did before this happened is I moved a bunch of files to a larger pen drive
> and deleted them from this drive.
>
>  --