Ubuntu Desktop vrs Server versions

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed May 2 11:56:05 MST 2012

Hi Joseph,

On 5/2/12, Joe Gibbs <joegibbs108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a small Dell box that I have been using off and on for misc work
> related sw testing (started with v 9.x Desktop).
>
> I need to ramp up my personal training (as I am looking for work at the
> moment) and have a question for the group.
>
> Currently I am running 12.04 Desktop version with Apache, MySQL,
> OpenSSh and some other server packages installed. I will be installing
> Oracle next week for my next training project. However after the 12.04
> upgrade I find that I can not access the Desktop Ubuntu machine from
> anything on the local network. I can access apache, mysql locally. A local
> ssh connections works just fine. Just can't do any of them from outside the
> box from anything on my home/local network.  I don't think there are any
> running firewalls, so I am discounting that as an issue.

You have multiple issues:

1) Existing User Space - You really already have this with the Desktop
applications and a hardened kernel:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule

2) Problems with Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade

See this post:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/126573/ethernet-connectivity-problems-after-upgrading-to-ubuntu-12-04lts

3) Need for Oracle

Please follow the instructions here to setup Oracle on 12.04
(everything should be the same): for 11gR2:

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2301639

> Would a fresh install of the Server version be a better long term solution
> for working with those type of packages, or should I stick with my 4x
> upgraded Desktop version?

What's the difference between desktop and server?

    The first difference is in the CD contents. The "Server" CD avoids
including what Ubuntu considers desktop packages (packages like X,
Gnome or KDE), but does include server related packages (Apache2,
Bind9 and so on). Using a Desktop CD with a minimal installation and
installing, for example, apache2 from the network, one can obtain the
exact same result that can be obtained by inserting the Server CD and
installing apache2 from the CD-ROM.

    The Ubuntu Server Edition installation process is slightly
different from the Desktop Edition. Since by default Ubuntu Server
doesn't have a GUI, the process is menu driven, very similar to the
Alternate CD installation process.

    Ubuntu server installs a server-optimized kernel (tcp/ip settings
and hardened kernel) by default.

    Ubuntu Desktop will receive 3 years of support, while Ubuntu
Server will be supported for 5 years.

Is this a public facing machine?

It would probably be best to stay with your Desktop and just harden
the /etc/sysctl.conf switches, turn off all non-essential services
(bluetooth) and provide internal TRUST ip firewalling (if necessary).

--
(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype