Ubuntu Desktop vrs Server versions

Joe Gibbs joegibbs108 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:38:00 MST 2012

Hi

I have a small Dell box that I have been using off and on for misc work
related sw testing (started with v 9.x Desktop).

I need to ramp up my personal training (as I am looking for work at the
moment) and have a question for the group.

Currently I am running 12.04 Desktop version with Apache, MySQL,
OpenSSh and some other server packages installed. I will be installing
Oracle next week for my next training project. However after the 12.04
upgrade I find that I can not access the Desktop Ubuntu machine from
anything on the local network. I can access apache, mysql locally. A local
ssh connections works just fine. Just can't do any of them from outside the
box from anything on my home/local network.  I don't think there are any
running firewalls, so I am discounting that as an issue.

Would a fresh install of the Server version be a better long term solution
for working with those type of packages, or should I stick with my 4x
upgraded Desktop version?

and

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can look into to resolve my
network connection issue ?

Thanks
Joe Gibbs