ssh in network

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 08:49:46 MST 2012

> Try sudo apt-get install openssh-server
I've tried that and it won't install. I think it is because their are three
packages in there that won't install (linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic,
linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic, and linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic). How do I
remove those packages?

I just got a message from the gui update manager with instructions on maybe
how to fix it (but it didn't) (a). The update manager was also talking
about a distribution upgrade and needing to update three packages. I
canceled out of that because the packages are all different versions and I
don't want to do a distribution upgrade.

-a-
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic
  linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 351 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 246431 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.0.0-15-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-15-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.0.0-15-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
/etc/default/grub: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic.postrm line 328.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic (--remove):
 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Removing
linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.0.0-16-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-16-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.0.0-16-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
/etc/default/grub: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic.postrm line 328.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic (--remove):
 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Removing
linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.0.0-17-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-17-generic
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-17-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.0.0-17-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-17-generic
/etc/default/grub: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic.postrm line 328.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic (--remove):
 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Errors were
encountered while processing:
 linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic
 linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic
 linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Make that:
> Try "sudo apt-get install openssh-server"
>

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I spun up an ubuntu-desktop VM. At least the desktop distro does not
>> have sshd installed.
>>
>> Try "sudo apt-get install openssh--server"
>>
>> I also noticed the ubuntu doesn't use v5 init scripts so I guess it's
>> "service ssh start", although after I installed it with the apt
>> command above it was already running.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks for the help Mike. But it didn't work.
>> >
>> >  bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start
>> >  sudo: /etc/init.d/sshd: command not found
>> >
>> > I'm pretty dure that is because openssh-server Doesn't seem to be
>> installed.
>> > I tried installing it but it won't install. I think it because it can't
>> > remove
>> >
>> >  linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic
>> >  linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic
>> >  linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic

>> host
>> are
>> either
>> computers
>> apt

>> I'm
>> have

>> > --

> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
> multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
> CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
> message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
> recipient list and message body.