ssh in network

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:47:47 MST 2012

Make that:
Try "sudo apt-get install openssh-server"

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I spun up an ubuntu-desktop VM. At least the desktop distro does not
> have sshd installed.
>
> Try "sudo apt-get install openssh--server"
>
> I also noticed the ubuntu doesn't use v5 init scripts so I guess it's
> "service ssh start", although after I installed it with the apt
> command above it was already running.
>

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the help Mike. But it didn't work.
> >
> >  bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start
> >  sudo: /etc/init.d/sshd: command not found
> >
> > I'm pretty dure that is because openssh-server Doesn't seem to be
> installed.
> > I tried installing it but it won't install. I think it because it can't
> > remove
> >
> >  linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic
> >  linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic
> >  linux-image-3.0.0-17-generic
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't have an ubuntu box to show output exactly, hopefully this will
> >> get you what you need just the same...
> >>
> >> type "netstat -a | grep ssh" on the print server host, you should get
> >> something like this:
> >>
> >> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*
> >>     LISTEN
> >>
> >> If you don't see the output above, then ssh is not listen and you'll
> >> need to type "sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start"
> >>
> >> Try the netstat command again...
> >>
> >> If, in the first time running netstat you DID see the output, check
> >> your firewall by typing "sudo /sbin/iptables -L | grep ssh", you
> >> should see something like this:
> >>
> >> ACCEPT     tcp  --  10.0.0.0/8           anywhere            state NEW
> >> tcp dpt:ssh
> >>
> >> If all that is correct the last thing to check is tcp wrappers, which
> >> probably are not as common as you once where, just cat out
> >> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny for any related content.
> >>
> >> Cheers!

> host
> are
> either
> computers
> apt

> I'm

> > --

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.