Going from Centos 6 to Ubuntu Server

ChasM Marshall chasm750 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:45:26 MST 2012

Wow!

This is the first I've seen here that ANYONE is using a seperate /boot partition.

I've been using one since about 2.2 kernels.
I started out using 50Mb but, with Ubuntu and GRUB 2.0
it needs around 300Mb to 500Mb.  A Fedora 15 install didn't
complain using a little as 150Mb.  The minimum is for my
Windows "ntldr" which requires only 50Mb.

I've never needed LVMs or software raids for my desktop.
As I understand it, they are not involved during boot, but are
a requirement to access the newer GRUB config scripts in Ubuntu.
Use a live boot disc, as Stephen says, to be sure they are accessable.
Most of my (single-user) boxes have three to seven OSes to boot from.
All within a less than 100Gb hard drive.  I'm using Grub Legacy.

If your Centos server is a large system, you may rather try this on a
seperate hardware test machine, for safety.  I've seen trouble from the
Ubuntu GRUB scripts.  Specifically, their "os_prober" has problems
identifying other bootable kernels and systems when generating
the new Ubuntu boot menu.

Another problem is that Ubuntu is capable of GPT or MBR hard drives.
MBR is the classic Master Boot Record.
GPT is newer, larger, and demands specific hardware abilities.
I've seen Win 7 using GPT, so caveat emptor.

  (-:  Chas.M.  :-)