moving home to /dev/sda6

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:45:34 MST 2012

thanks ben. As it copies it runs out of room in the destination. It seems
my home directory is larger than 13gig but the partition is only 10 gig..
It seems I have to repartition my drive again. And I thought this was going
to be difficult. Actually I didn't think I had enough free space to
repartition.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Ben Browning <benb at bensbrowning.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> well now I need to work on the other computer a little. I wanted to move
>> the print server's /home to it's own partition but the partition i want to
>> use is too small. So, my question is what do I need to copy?
>> /home/<user>/documents i know I need but what else? I guess that is it. If
>> there is space I  suppose Downloads too. And to get it to see /dev/sda3 as
>> the new location for documents I would 'export
>> /home/<user>/documents=/mnt/sda3/documents. Copying the documemts would be:
>> 'rsync -va --checksum /mnt/home/documents /mnt/sda3. does this sound right?
>

> rsync -va  /mnt/home/ /mnt/sda3/
>
> Skip checksum, it will go faster and check date and size and not checksum
> every file. Simply run it again when it's done and it should sync nothing,
> showing you it's all there.
>
> On your first box, the fix is:
>
> 1) mount new partition to, say, /mnt/new/
> 2) rsync -va   /mnt/home/bmike1 /mnt/new/
> 3) note the trailing slash and no trailing slash in 2). This should result
> in /mnt/new/bmike1
> 4) edit /etc/fstab to put the device on /mnt/new on /home
> 5) mv /home /home.bk
> 6) mkdir /home
> 7) mount -a
> 8) confirm /home/bmike1 exists and is writable by bmike1
> 9) reboot, everything should work
> 10) rm -rf /home.bk when you are sure everything is functional.
>
> ~Ben