attach XP computer to network fror printing

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:31:48 MST 2012

You know... I wonder if this has anything to do with this:
Whenever I apt-get on the server this happens:

bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install gparted
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a
Suggested packages:
  xfsprogs reiserfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils kpartx dmraid gpart
  gparted libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
5 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 1,557 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,870 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a
i386 1:2.24.2-1 [1,020 kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main gparted i386
0.8.1-1ubuntu4 [536 kB]
Fetched 1,557 kB in 10s (147
kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a.
(Reading database ... 235241 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a (from
.../libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a_1%3a2.24.2-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gparted.
Unpacking gparted (from .../gparted_0.8.1-1ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Setting up linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic (3.0.0-15.26) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.0.0-15-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
3.0.0-15-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-15-generic
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.new: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.0.0-15-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier
3.0.0-15-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.0.0-15-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-15-generic
/etc/default/grub: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic (3.0.0-16.29) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.0.0-16-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
3.0.0-16-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-16-generic
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.new: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.0.0-16-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier
3.0.0-16-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.0.0-16-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-16-generic
/etc/default/grub: 1: GNU: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic:
 linux-image-generic depends on linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic; however:
  Package linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-generic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic:
 linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 3.0.0.16.19); however:
  Package linux-image-generic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-generic (--configure):
Setting up samba4 (4.0.0~alpha17~git20110807.dfsg1-1ubuntu1) ...
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup
error from a previous failure.
                          No apport report written because MaxReports is
reached already
        Administrator password will be set randomly!
Unknown parameter encountered: "max log size"
Ignoring unknown parameter "max log size"
Unknown parameter encountered: "syslog"
Ignoring unknown parameter "syslog"
Unknown parameter encountered: "passdb backend"
Ignoring unknown parameter "passdb backend"
Unknown parameter encountered: "unix password sync"
Ignoring unknown parameter "unix password sync"
Unknown parameter encountered: "passwd program"
Ignoring unknown parameter "passwd program"
Unknown parameter encountered: "pam password change"
Ignoring unknown parameter "pam password change"
Unknown parameter encountered: "map to guest"
Ignoring unknown parameter "map to guest"
Unknown parameter encountered: "usershare allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "usershare allow guests"
Unknown parameter encountered: "guest ok"
Ignoring unknown parameter "guest ok"
[...]
ProvisioningError: guess_names: 'realm =' was not specified in supplied
/etc/samba/smb.conf.  Please remove the smb.conf file and let provision
generate it
dpkg: error processing samba4 (--configure):
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Setting up
libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a (1:2.24.2-1) ...
Setting up gparted (0.8.1-1ubuntu4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for menu ...
 linux-image-3.0.0-15-generic
 linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic
 linux-image-generic