attach XP computer to network fror printing

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 10:18:03 MST 2012

I tell you.... this is all screwed up!

bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /lib/ufw/ufw-init status
Firewall is running
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /lib/ufw/ufw-init stop
Skip stopping firewall: ufw (not enabled)
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /lib/ufw/ufw-init restart
Skipping  (not enabled)
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /lib/ufw/ufw-init start
Skip starting firewall: ufw (not enabled)
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo /lib/ufw/ufw-init force-reload
Skipping  (not enabled)
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

So it says the firewall is running but it won't
stop/restart/start/force-reload it because it isn't running? Now check this
out, I wanted to su to root so I didn't have to type in sudo and:

bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ su
Password:
su: Authentication failure
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ su
Password:
su: Authentication failure
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ su
Password:
su: Authentication failure
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ su
Password:
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo passwd root
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ su
Password:
Added user root.
root at Michaels-PC:/home/bmike1#

Oh... I think I see. To change roots passwd you need to type in 'passwd
root'? (I did try changing it typing in 'passwd'). But this doesn't explain
why it wouldn't su into root until a changed the passwd. (I didn't really
change it.... it is what I originally set it to. Why wouldn't it accept it
until I "changed' it??

I thought maybe this might have fixed the ssh problem but no:

bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo ssh 192.168.0.4
[sudo] password for bmike1:
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.4 port 22: Connection refused
bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$

bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $ sudo ssh 192.168.0.3
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.3 port 22: Connection timed out
bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $

while I was doing this I accidently tried to ping the laptop from the
laptop with the following results:

bmike1 at Michaels-Laptop ~ $ sudo ssh 192.168.0.4
[sudo] password for bmike1:
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.4 port 22: Connection refused

perhaps.... ufw will help.

nope.... 'allow 22' didn't help ssh to the laptop (192.168.0.4). Connection
still refused.

--