OT: Health Insurance

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 08:02:50 MST 2012

Hi,

I am self employed, a little older, over weight, with a history of high blood pressure.

I do not have health insurance and would like to be able to find a reasonable health insurance plan.

Recently I received several quotes.  $600 a month, $6000 deductible for me and $6000 deductible my wife.  And we must pay 30% of the first $10,000 (each).  These are per year.  Once we pay $10,200 (annual premium + annual copay) of the first $10,000 the insurance kicks in and will pay what is left.

As a result I have decided to go without insurance.  I'd be happy to pay $500 a month for a normal HMO policy. (well not completely happy, I think $500 a month is too high).

Short of building a business that has employees and qualifies for group health insurance, what can I do?

Thank you for your insight!