gparted - how to move a partition? SOLVED

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 10:57:18 MST 2012

Cool!  I am glad it worked for you.  I know I have done it in the past and
I was pretty sure I used gparted to do it.  I do not recall if I did it by
changing the numbers in the dialog or by dragging the handle at on end of
the graphical representation of the partition.  gParted is a pretty nice
too;.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Thanks Larry.  Finally got it to work.
>
> It took a while to figure out how to actually do that maximizing
> of the complete sda2 partition as I got an error and it failed
> the first few times I tried it. (See Brian's comment further below).
>
> But then I tried "maximizing" to only about 95% of what I thought
> was available free space, and then it worked.
>
> Joe
>
> -------------------
> Dazed_75 last wrote:
> > - Select /dev/sda2 (the extended partition) and either maximize
> >   its size (it can only grow to the left) or move it to the left
> >   and then grow it to its maximum size
> >   (whichever gparted will let you do)
>
> ***** [Joe observed: This was an important key] *****
>
> > - select /dev/sda5 and move it to the left
> > - select /dev/sda6 and move it to the left
> > - select /dev/sda7 and either maximize its size (it can only grow to the
> >   left) or move it to the left and then grow it to its maximum size
> > By the way, I would Apply Changes after each step as a precaution.
> > I've had much more success that way.
>
> ----------------------
> Brian Parma last wrote:
> > Oddly enough I was trying to do just this today.  I kept getting
> > errors about not being able to modify my extended partition.
> >
> > In the end, I just used fsarchiver to backup the partition(s),
> > destroyed them, recreated them the way I wanted them on the disk,
> > then restored them again with fsarchiver.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before
forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from
capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.