Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade experiences?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Mar 1 08:53:53 MST 2012

   Just curious, has anyone had a *good* experience upgrading to 12.04
ubuntu yet?  Has anyone had a *good* upgrade on ubuntu in somewhat
recent memory?

   I'd upgraded to 12.04 a few weeks ago now, and have literally seen it
go from "ok with relics of brokenness" to "almost unusable" within a few
weeks and little fathomable explanation.  The distro built thunderbird
crashes constantly (replaced with mozilla build for stability),
compiz/unity half-assed worked for a while, out of nowhere I can't even
get unity to launch (which is almost a plus in itself).  Neither Gnome3
or Cinnamon work in it, Banshee/Rhythembox both are fairly unstable, AWN
task manager won't work with most applets (including the default task
manager), cairo is quirky as all getout, and there STILL ISN'T A REAL
SCREENSAVER BY DEFAULT!.  I'm still irked libreoffice is forced upon me
and cant render M$ office xml files by default (that anyone but a linux
user has by default now), and it isn't getting any easier to install
openoffice to replace it.  Most annoying is luks no longer accepts input
from my logitech wireless keyboard, forcing me upon reboot (which is
every other day since upgrade) to have to jack in a wired keyboard and
keep it at my desk for when ubuntu poops itself.

   I'm at something of a crossroads with ubuntu, and just wondering if
I'm alone.  Mint is immature, I haven't liked RH-based distro's before,
but leaning toward them now, and then there's the "just use win7 as a
windows manager" as I did for most of my windows-based life prior to
linux.  Ubuntu's turned into an abortion for me, consistently eventually
hozing up a system despite whatever care I give to not agitate it.
Upgrades have typically been terrible experiences, usually ending up
installing clean to fix nasty relics of the upgrade, which begs then
"why bother to make an install?"

   Literally crappy windows 95 "upgrades" come to mind, where it'll
always turn it into some unusable pile upon completion - which is about
what I'm left with after update-manager -d anymore.  It doesn't matter
whether it's in alpha or final, the results are almost always the same
beyond 8.04 for me.

   Worst is every time something crashes ugly and I try to "send a
report" it just finds an arbitrary upgrade necessary as an excuse not to
bother, that would have me restart every 6 hours.  I can't even easily
try and contribute anything to help!

   Next time I have to flatten this, I'm going to have to go back to
square one to find a new distro - I just can't trust ubuntu to work
adequately for my needs anymore out of box or sustainable over time.
Any they want to use it in embedded applications?

-mb