Dropbox popped

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Jul 31 19:59:48 MST 2012

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/07/dropbox-confirms-it-got-hacked-will-offer-two-factor-authentication/

So yeah, about not trusting cloud storage services...

"At any rate, users may want to think about examining more secure
alternatives, encrypting their files, or simply not storing
ultra-sensitive information in Dropbox."

An employee account was exploited for this, probably a password gotten
via some other exploited site, or cracked (weak pw policy).  Sad
proprietary/confidential data, let alone pii, was even publicly
accessible in any means.  Why I'll keep mine on my rfc1918 ip lan, thanks.

-mb