speakeasy/megapath (was RE: CenturyLink/DirectTV)

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jul 30 10:56:07 MST 2012

I'm pretty particular about "outages", most instilled from business that
there's a big different between 99.99 and 99.999 percent uptime on
networks.  Modems locking up classify as that, but physical signal
issues are more often where those are directed, or upstream headend
equipment failures outside windows.  I hear from a few folks their
modems do that, but it's a bit of a misnomer considering most dsl modems
are also a router/firewall, and one of questionable performance.

Back when bittorrent wasn't being lorded by ambulance-chasing lawyers
trying to sue everyone using it, I could crush my old pix firewall with
connection amounts generated by it (+2000 at times naturally).  So much
so, I actually imposed static limits on tcp/udp translations for it, but
not easy to do when it began hiding in other ports and protocols.  Older
or more cpu-bound consumer routers (or crappy code on them) can easily
get crushed with a few-thousand connections tracked for nat purposes, so
wouldn't surprise me if the "outages" are somewhat self-inflicted with
cpu/memory for nat simply getting exhausted.  It's been years since I've
had to reboot the cox modem that wasn't a somewhat planned outage (I
usually ask one of their backbone guys that knows).  I'd rather it stay
a dumb modem and let my asa handle the rest.

Bell telco's might as well equal government run, and sadly I find their
union influence drags their quality down as they create more problem
than they fix (and they don't/can't get fired).  When they have outages,
it's usually pretty large and egregious, and i see this much more with
business services.  Cox is _very_ anti-union, and I understand why,
other than simple corporate greed.  Same could be said of Cox's
residential contracted installers however being of questionable quality
standards.  I have personal issues with the Belle's, but no less than
with Cox or others - I simply have found cable internet over time to be
superior in service offering, and not just pride of having helped build
the tech, or Cox.

In the end, use what works for you, and what you find acceptable in your
area.  Some parts of town simply have notoriously bad coax feeders, or
2wire for dsl that cannot practically be fixed thus giving you little
option in one over another.

Show me single-mode fiber in the ground at my house at a reasonable
cost, I guarantee you my opinion, and isp would change.  mmm, optical.

-mb