OT: Cellular Modems

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jul 23 19:12:21 MST 2012

I keep a little 4g samsung hotspot router on me from vzw that is very
convenient when I need to jump on with a laptop, or let someone else on
with me too.  $50 bucks/mo for 5gb (that's the worst of it).  I'd had a
built-in mini-pcie card that I could never get to work right due to
buggy hp bios in my laptop (gobi2100 if i remember right, elitebook
piece of s**t from hp, ugh) and eventually gave up on in favor of the
hotspot router.

I'd use my phone, but didn't like the notion of losing data when I would
get a call (prior to my having a 4g phone with separate data radio now).
  GSM isn't an issue for this with separate data/call bearers anyways.

-mb