Laptop Battery Life

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Jul 23 15:47:06 MST 2012

The full discharge-and-recharge was for NiCd batteries, and helped to limit memory effect, it does not apply to NiMH or LiIon batteries (anything fairly recent), nor did it ever apply to lead-acid and it's derivatives.
LiIon is the only one that has particularly big problems if discharged to 0%; although it's best to not leave any battery fully discharged too long, for various reasons depending on chemistry.

It *used* to be that chargers were quite dumb and just "shoved" charge into a battery.  Most good quality chargers are much more nuanced than that today, and will charge at different rates depending on the charge state of the battery which further extends life.
Most laptops, in particular, have quite intelligent chargers and will not overcharge the battery or charge too fast/too slow for the charge profile; this is particularly important for LiIon as overcharge and overly aggressive charge/discharge can result in thermal runaway (c.f. the various laptop "explosion" videos).

So, for LiIon, just charge it when you need to, and if you intend to store it for a while, discharge a bit (around 80%) and check it now-and-then to make sure it gets recharged before it drops much below 30%.
For NiMH, it's a bit more nuanced, but still amounts to charge-it-when-you-need-to, just not as much to worry about when storing as long as it doesn't spend too much time completely discharged.

For both LiIon and NiMH, there are several common chemistries used (both are families of battery, not particular implementations), and each has different advantages and disadvantages.
It's worthwhile checking which you're dealing with if you wish to maximize the life of your particular device.

These wikipedia articles have some very good details on the chemistry, including some of the differences for recent alternate chemistries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery

I hope that helps, Rusty.