Laptop Battery Life

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Mon Jul 23 09:13:56 MST 2012

Warning - what you are about to read is from the "king of rechargeable
battery killers", so take it with a few metric tons of salt!

I have recently been told that, for newer-technology batteries:

1 - you do not want to overcharge them - a sure killer

2 - charging to 100% all the time risks overcharging.  Charge to 90-98%
instead.

3 - discharging to some point below 20% reduces battery life, avoid it.
(I'm not sure what the lower bound is)

However, I have also been told:

A - always fully a discharge new battery and recharge fully 3 times
before use - this is supposed to make batteries more prepared or
something.

Vs

B - never fully discharge a battery.

Do we have anyone who works in the battery industry who can give us some
real insight?

Rusty