kubuntu 12.04 performance deterioration

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sat Jul 21 09:30:33 MST 2012

Thanks Matt.  All very helpful.

I finally did find and fix the problem with Firefox, and that has also
solved a runaway process (for which Brian provided the clue).  It seems I
had a tiny script in /home/joe/bin from ages ago that was using upwards of
75% of the processor power, and deleting that script solved the problem.
Strange that having that same script on my several PCLinuxOS boxes never
did produce the same problem.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get rid of the annoying kwallet,
cashew, panel icons continually being spontaneously rearranged from the
way I want them, (and several other kde annoyances), perhaps I can finally
get this system stablized and usable.  ;)

Thanks again.