Resize partition solution -and- problem.

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Mon Jul 9 23:40:07 MST 2012

> Joe, I do not know that partitioning tool so I do not know for sure it can
> be trusted to safely shrink the ntfs partition on which your XP was
> running.  What should have happened if it did the right things is that
> when you next booted XP, the XP bootloader would note the change in the
> partition size and run chkdsk to check it out and then XP would load.
>
> So here are a couple of questions:
> 1 - Did you reboot XP after resizing the partition but before installing
> kubuntu (not required but tell us so we know)

No. I did not.  After the resize, I installed kubuntu

> 2 - When you say the 5th GRUB menu item (XP) does not work, what do you
> mean.  In other words, what does and does not happen.  Is there any output
> such as error messages. or ...?

No error messages.  I just see a blinking cursor at the top left of a
black screen.

So, I guess I'm sunk, as Lisa said. Just thought I would ask.

Surely all of the Windows partition is still there intact since I did
chkdsk and defrag (several times) before resizing, and the defrag
process showed (graphically) that all data sectors were in less than
half the hard drive.  And I made sure to resize considerably less than
half the HD size. (only about 40%).