Resize partition solution -and- problem.

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:50:06 MST 2012

Joe, I do not know that partitioning tool so I do not know for sure it can
be trusted to safely shrink the ntfs partition on which your XP was
running.  What should have happened if it did the right things is that when
you next booted XP, the XP bootloader would note the change in the
partition size and run chkdsk to check it out and then XP would load.

So here are a couple of questions:
1 - Did you reboot XP after resizing the partition but before installing
kubuntu (not requiredm but tell us so we know)
2 - When you say the 5th GRUB menu item (XP) does not work, what do you
mean.  In other words, what does and does not happen.  Is there any output
such as error messages. or ...?

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> First ... I'd like to say kudos to Larry (Dazed) and all the great guys
> that give their time so generously at the monthly Installfests, providing
> such excellent help.
>
> Last Saturday, while trying to shrink a 40-gig partition on my xp laptop
> so I could add Linux, we ran into a stumbling block with Gparted not
> working.
>
> Since then, I've been searching for other options. Knoppix CD had one
> called "QTParted" that seemed to work better than Gparted ... but it also
> did not work.
>
> Finally, I found a really slick, free download GUI partition editing
> bootable CD here: www.PartitionWizard.com/download.html ... with an iso
> named: pwhe7.iso
>
> When loading, it showed the name "tinycore" as its Linux platform, and
> when loaded it had the slickest (by far) graphical interface of any
> partition editor I've seen ... and it worked great and fast.  I used
> 'chkdsk' and 'defrag' on the 40-gig hard disk and that seemed to show that
> only about 20% of the disk was used with no indicted disk usage beyond the
> 50% point on the disk.  So, I decided to just shrink the xp partition to
> 22 gig which I though would avoid damaging any of the xp files on the
> disk.
>
> That left 16 gig free to install Linux, so I used 3.6 gig for "/" 3.9 gig
> for swap and the remaining 10 gig for "/home"
>
> Installation of Kubuntu 12.04 went flawlessly and it works fine ...
> however ... the GNU GRUB version 1.99-21-ubuntu3 boot that Kubuntu
> installed shows 5 entries of which only the first four work:
>
> - Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae
> - Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae (recovery mode)
> - Memory test (memtest86+)
> - Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
> - Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)
>
> But xp does not boot.
>
> Grub offers an option to edit each entry, and when I do that
> to the M$ entry, this is what I see:
>
> setparams 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional ()on /dev/sda1)"
>
> insmod part-msdos
> insmod ntfs
> set root='(hd0,msdos1)"
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 01CD5DCE2C361380
> drivemap -s (hd0) ${root)
> chainloader +1
>

> *** So *** what can I do to fix grub so it will boot xp?
> Or have I completely destroyed it?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.