networking problem

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Jul 9 19:44:45 MST 2012

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lisa.... fantastic to hear from you!
> Yes, they are both in the same subnet, 192.168.0.X
> Yes. The laptop is wireless while the desktop is connected to the internet
> via a cable.
> As for allowing passthrough I can't say. I think so because it was working
> before my HD crashed on the desktop. Also.... rsync will run between the
> two computers. The problem is that I can't access the computer through Caja
> (formerly known as nautilus).
> Hmmmmm.... now when I try to rsync it gives me a 'connection refused' when
> I try to rsync from the desktop to the laptop. This must be because I
> installed a new OS on the laptop. What do I have to open to get ssh to work?

That means that your connection was refused.

So, you probably have strict checking on in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and
you named your new system the same as the old one.
You can remove your known_hosts file from ~michael/.ssh/known_hosts file.
You can turn off strict checking also in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file (not
recommended, even if you ARE on a trusted network).

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike?
>>
>> Are they on the same subnet?
>>
>> Is one a wireless and the other a wired?
>> Does your router allow passthrough to the wired devices on your network?
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think I figured out what my networking problem is. There is no route
>>>  between the two linux macines in th routing table. Does that sound right?
>>> How do I add a route between the two if that is right?
>>>
>>> --
>>> :-)~MIKE~(-:

>> --
>> (503) 754-4452 Android