Opinions on Zorin OS (and a side order of Mint)

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Thu Jul 5 13:46:17 MST 2012

CAN you get Ubuntu to NOT use that stupid unity interface?  (Goodness,
people, this is a desktop computer, NOT a phone!)

I stopped using anything Ubuntu newer than 10.10 as soon as I saw the
disaster that was ALL the window managers that I could find in the time
I had to spend looking (not much).

When I saw mint at work due to a test I was running for a customer, I
switched to it.  While I still like the old interface better, at least
its usable (don't like cinnamon, obviously.  I'm using Mate)...

> I'd rather just use ubuntu as the distro without unity on it as a base
> and get general industry support, especially for video driver blob
> support as it and fedora/cent are the standard vendors are willing to
> support.

Me too, but someone have a pointer to a howto? (since I really don't
have time to spend being an administrator and finding all that out, or
breaking my system while trying to figure it out, really.  That's why I
switched to Ubuntu in the first place!)

Thanks!

Rusty