Opinions on Zorin OS (and a side order of Mint)

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jul 5 13:35:36 MST 2012

 From a new user perspective, mint (or others) may be better
out-of-install, but a lack of features like install methods for
raid/lvm/crypto functions just tell me its immature or a sub-grade
knock-off.  I'm not an enterprise, just security aware and conscious of
mtbf on drives to want/expect enterprise features (it *is* linux still),
and more people should too (especially when mint uses ubuntu as a base
already).

I'd rather just use ubuntu as the distro without unity on it as a base
and get general industry support, especially for video driver blob
support as it and fedora/cent are the standard vendors are willing to
support.

I'd like to see what kind of experience mint users have with
dist-upgrades as well.  Something tells me if canonical isn't catching
the big things that break the os, Mint isn't going to either.

As for windoze-y linuxes, this odd distro is still going...  Remembered
this from years ago that looked waaay too much like windoze if that's
what you're looking for:

http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html

It *is* based on 10.04 LTS, so at least you get some software support,
and hopefully not just odd tcp socket connections back to chinese ip
addresses.

-mb