tablet for SCaLE trip?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Jan 16 16:26:16 MST 2012

moin moin,

I'm thinking that 10 - 12 hours in a car could be more effectively used
if I had an appropriate computing device. The Nexus One is great, but the
screen is too small for use over long periods. My laptops are great, but
not so good for cramped car and airplane seats, especially not for those
sitting next to me :).

Thus, I'm thinking a tablet of some sort might be best.

Unfortunately, I waited to long to mail order something :(.

I'm now wishing I'd managed to get in on the HP firesales...

Aside from function and upgradeable, I want a manufacturer that doesn't
lock down booting ( so no Motorola ) and that doesn't pay the m$ tax ( so
no HTC and others ). It'd be nice if there was a table out there that
listed those two items for Android devices.

The tablet definitely needs to be running cyanogen, but I won't get to
that until after SCaLE.

I was thinking about the Galaxy Tab after seeing it in a store yesterday
and because it'd be good to help fight the bogus patent suits ( $wife got
a Nook tablet because I love the Barnes and Noble responses to the m$
bogus patent extortion ). I'm not interested in custom interfaces, but
since whatever I get will move to cyanogen, it doesn't really matter.

I would prefer a larger screen, e.g. the 10" Galaxy Tab.

More RAM and multi-core CPU are probably good ideas for me.

I don't need, or want, a cell phone service on the tablet. Definitely need
WiFi. Would love bluetooth audio and data.

Looks like Samsung is paying m$ tax :(.

http://betanews.com/2011/09/28/microsoft-extracts-android-tax-from-samsung/

m$ tax: HTC, LG, Samsung

locked: Motorola

! m$ tax and ! locked: Barnes and Noble, any others?

ciao,

der.hans
#  SCaLE10x: January 20-22 2012 http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale10x/
#  ABLEconf: Saturday, March 24th 2012 @ UAT in Tempe http://www.ABLEconf.com/
#  We now return you to your regularly scheduled paranoia...