"no such partition"~I hurt my machine!

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:21:48 MST 2012

Well, I did it again..... I hurt my machine. To hurt my machine I was
moving partitions around and resizing some. After I got done playing with
these things I rebooted and an absolutely lovely message appeared! That
message was:

     error : no such partition
     grubrescue>_

Oops! What did I do now. I didn't modify the first partition (which is a
distributiomn) in the least so I was thinking I would boot into that
partition. Except it isn't even loading grub so I can't do that. In my
efforts to fix this on my own I entered 'update-grub' but it said 'no such
file.....'. Then I entered 'ls' and the response was

     (hd0) (hd0,8) (hd0,7) (hd0,6) (hd0,5) (hd0,1)

Going on from what I've heard do I need to mount the partitions with
distributions on them and then reinstall grub
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdathen Reboot normally then
update grub:

     sudo update-grub

Is this right?
--