gigabit ethernet question

Mike Bydalek mike.bydalek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:12:53 MST 2012

Take a look at these to see what may be going on:

http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/pcattcp.htm

http://iperf.sourceforge.net/

Some other suggestions would be updating the drivers as well.

Regards,
Mike

On Feb 18, 2012, at 10:05 PM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan at gmail.com>
wrote:

 One of the machines runs windows xp.  The other runs either kubuntu 10.04
LTS or windows xp.  Sometimes I and moving large files and sometimes
smaller ones.  There's not a lot of difference between what os the machine
is running or what's being transferred.  Although the transfer speed does
drop a little when I'm moving small files.

I've read that cat6 is supposed to be used with gigabit ethernet, but i
didn't know at such a short distance it would matter.  The next time I go
to the store I'll get some cat 6.  If it doesn't make any difference at
least I'll have a spare bit of cable if I need it.

thanks