gigabit ethernet question

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:05:32 MST 2012

One of the machines runs windows xp.  The other runs either kubuntu
10.04 LTS or windows xp.  Sometimes I and moving large files and
sometimes smaller ones.  There's not a lot of difference between what os
the machine is running or what's being transferred.  Although the
transfer speed does drop a little when I'm moving small files.

I've read that cat6 is supposed to be used with gigabit ethernet, but i
didn't know at such a short distance it would matter.  The next time I
go to the store I'll get some cat 6.  If it doesn't make any difference
at least I'll have a spare bit of cable if I need it.

thanks