hard disk failure

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:39:45 MST 2012

yipee! 'mount -o sb=131072 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1' mounted the drive and I can
now browse the folders. So, how do I copy the backup superblock to the
primary superblock? Time to google this...

so while trying to fix it I found out what the problem really is with
debugfs There is a bad magic number in the original super-block... back to
google.... I've been googling since 2:00! Can anyone helP?

> Also, if you're having trouble mounting an ext23 filesystem, something you
> might want to try is to mount it using the backup superblocks.  "mount -t
> ext3
> -o sb=131072 /dev/sda2 /mnt/somewhere" is the canonical first backup
> superblock to try.  Or since reading the disk appears to be working, copy
> each
> partition somewhere, make a copy of that copy, and attempt to work on that
> copy with e2fsck and/or debugfs.
>
> --