hard disk failure

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Feb 18 10:28:21 MST 2012

From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> It seems to me everything is good.
> hdparm /dev/sda1

hdparm won't tell you about the SMART status on a disk.  I think you may be
looking for /usr/sbin/smartctl , which will report the SMART status for
everything on sda if you call it with "smartctl -a /dev/sda".  However, the
last time one of my disks died, smartctl didn't say anything was wrong until I
started getting read errors on various sectors.

Also, if you're having trouble mounting an ext23 filesystem, something you
might want to try is to mount it using the backup superblocks.  "mount -t ext3
-o sb=131072 /dev/sda2 /mnt/somewhere" is the canonical first backup
superblock to try.  Or since reading the disk appears to be working, copy each
partition somewhere, make a copy of that copy, and attempt to work on that
copy with e2fsck and/or debugfs.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows