SPF records for increasing mail delivery

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Feb 16 07:57:19 MST 2012

I have to second Mike Bydalek's suggestion to test all outbound mail to
your "list".  That is one of the mail recommendations from companies that
provide "deliverability" services to NetFlix, Cisco, etc.  Spamassassin
works but is only as good as your ability to configure it right.  You can
just use this:

http://www.mailingcheck.com/

Believe me it's easy to have a combination of words or a link that causes
the email to win you a Blacklist entry.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Mike Bydalek <mike.bydalek at gmail.com>wrote:

> Take a look at this:
>
> http://support.google.com/a/**bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=**178723<http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=178723>
>
> Google recommends a slightly version than what you have.  Also, you can
> send an e-mail to spf-test at openspf.org to validate your settings.
>
> To be honest, you're going to face a tough battle.  I was at a company
> where we sent a large amount of e-mails to professors throughout the
> country and were constantly battling bounces and Spam filters (this was all
> opt-in keep in mind).  What I would suggest is monitor your bounce backs
> and click-throughs to ensure nothing is amiss.
>
> One technique I could suggest would be to setup an internal SpamAssassin
> (or use MailScanner) on a different domain and send your draft e-mails to
> an account on that system.  Enable the option to put scores in the header
> and then you can look at the e-mail to ensure that nothing you're doing is
> triggering a huge score.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Mike
>

> On 2/15/12 7:05 PM, Vimal Shah wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> We regularly need to send emails (not marketing but student achievement
>> metrics) to elementary school teachers across the country. We've been
>> getting some of our email blocks at schools and so along with contacting
>> the IT person to get whitelisted, we've just set up an SPF record in
>> GoDaddy's DNS manager. It created a record (with PTR) and a value =
>>
>> v=spf1 mx ptr include:_spf.google.com. ~all
>> <https://dns.godaddy.com/**ZoneFile.aspx?zone=SOKIKOM.**
>> COM&zoneType=0&refer=dcc#<https://dns.godaddy.com/ZoneFile.aspx?zone=SOKIKOM.COM&zoneType=0&refer=dcc#>
>> >

>> We send all email through google. Does this seem right? Are there any
>> other records that should be included to maximize the probability of
>> email delivery?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Vimal

(503) 754-4452 Android