TITLE SHOULDA BEEN: Comparing Mint 12 with Oneiric 11.10 when trying to completely dump Unity.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Feb 12 12:08:46 MST 2012

I think it's still a lot of theory and assumption that goes on trying to
figure out exactly how to treat these darn SSD's just right, and every
one is different.  So much information, yet none of it is really
comprehensive how exactly to deal with them across all the various
fs-types.  It took me a few weeks to get my recipe working somewhat
reliably on my hp laptop, where the laptop has it's own issue to
compound it too (relating to disk security/locking in bios).

Kind of a shame, It only makes linux look piss poor when you have to
spend so much effort to figure out such a basic disk function if you
want to do it "right" and get the most performance/longevity.  I still
in no way know if I really am, either.  I'm hoping someone at canonical,
redhat, or even the disk vendors start building partitioning systems
intelligent account for SSD's, otherwise they're creating timebombs.  My
first pair of SSD's didn't last a year before one began getting flaky
(2nd gen sata3 micron, the "good" ones), and that was with default
alignment with md/lvm atop it (no disk encryption at the time, just the
homedir).

Since trim support is still pretty wack (doesn't work fully between
lvm/luks/raid), I heard disk vendors are they're pushing the garbage
collection into hardware in the disk now at least.  Maybe they need to
align themselves for the stupid os' too.  :)

-mb