Question about USB R/W Speed

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Feb 2 10:20:03 MST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:

> From: Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> > Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
> >> If ehci_hcd isn't loaded, then USB2 devices will be limited to USB1
> speeds.
> > OK, # lspci |grep -i ehci
>
> That just tells you whether an EHCI controller is present on the PCI bus
> (one
> is).  You want "lsmod | grep ehci", which will tell you whether the
> ehci_hcd
> kernel module is loaded.

# lsmod | grep ehci
ehci_hcd               40215  0
usbcore               124095  5 uvcvideo,usbhid,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd

Thanks...it is loaded.

> > How do I check if devices are automounted with -o sync?
>
> This depends on whether you're using an automounter and which one you're
> using.  I can't help that much with the automounter config, since I always
> mount removable media manually and use fstab entries.  But if you plug the
> device in and start doing stuff with it, typing "mount" in a terminal
> should
> show you a bunch of output with a line like
>
> /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/somewhere type vfat (rw,noauto,users,umask=000)
>
> ...where the stuff within ()s is the options the device was mounted as.
> "sync" probably shouldn't be in there if you want the fastest possible I/O.

from mount, with the HP usb stick installed:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/usb0 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro,user=mark)

No sync, so it was probably the file sizes?

Mark