Question about USB R/W Speed

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Feb 2 09:22:51 MST 2012

From: Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
>> If ehci_hcd isn't loaded, then USB2 devices will be limited to USB1
speeds.
> OK, # lspci |grep -i ehci

That just tells you whether an EHCI controller is present on the PCI bus (one
is).  You want "lsmod | grep ehci", which will tell you whether the ehci_hcd
kernel module is loaded.

> How do I check if devices are automounted with -o sync?

This depends on whether you're using an automounter and which one you're
using.  I can't help that much with the automounter config, since I always
mount removable media manually and use fstab entries.  But if you plug the
device in and start doing stuff with it, typing "mount" in a terminal should
show you a bunch of output with a line like

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/somewhere type vfat (rw,noauto,users,umask=000)

...where the stuff within ()s is the options the device was mounted as.
"sync" probably shouldn't be in there if you want the fastest possible I/O.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows