Questions about Working with (or around) Unity in Ubuntu 12.04

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 18:04:04 MST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:

> **
> On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 13:09 -0700, Tom Haws wrote:
>
> Even though I have no respect for Ubuntu's Unity desktop, I don't want to
> make this a gripe thread.  I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on a Windows 7
> VirtualBox machine, and I need to make it work as productively as I can for
> the time being.  That said, I have a few questions:
>

>  1.  The Launcher is not rolling out for me since I installed 12..04.  It
> previously would roll out when my mouse was near the left side of the
> desktop.  To access the Launcher I now have to press the Windows key on my
> keyboard.
>

> This is probably caused by using virtual box, in that the launcher in
> 12.04 behaves based on how hard you push it open.  In your case that's
> causing the pointer to leave the window.  I'd probably just recommend
> leaving it open.  You can adjust that setting and also the reveal
> sensitivity in the "Appearance" control panel on the "Behavior" tab.
>
> OR -- you could probably set VirtualBox to capture the cursor like it used
to do.  That would mean that when you WANT to have the cursor move out of
VB, you would have to press a key (I think the default is the right side
Ctrl or Alt key.

>  2.  I cannot find any way to Show the Desktop.  I have never been able to
> do this in Unity (or in Gnome on Linux Mint).
>

> It's on the Alt+Tab switcher, first item.
>         --Ted

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.