How to set up a dual boot on a thinkpad

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:06:12 MST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> I have a used Thinkpad T60 with win7 installed and I want to install
> Kubuntu in a dual boot, but I'm having trouble trying to shrink the win-7
> part of the 100-gig HD as as small as I'd like to make it. There are a
> couple of nuisance files stuck at about the 75-gig point. I've tried
> everything I can think of to get rid of those files, to no avail.

Those are the Page (swap) file and the storage area for Restore Points.  If
you turn those off temporarily (you will lose your restore points so so a
thorough backup or system image first JIC), Windows will let you shrink the
partition further (you may need to restart after turning them off).  That
should get you the space you need.

> So, I think there is a reserve copy of win-7 in another partition. What is
> the procedure to do a fresh re-install of win-7 from that reserve
> partition so I can shrink the HD and install Kubuntu in a dual boot?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.