text file needs a carriage return

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Thu Aug 30 05:26:48 MST 2012

If you want a script to enter data from inside the script as if you had
typed it, you use the '<<' input redirect like so:

#!/bin/bash

echo Put stuff into a_file:

cat << EOFEOF > a_file

This line goes in to the file

So does this

This does too, but the next line tells the shell to stop reading and
give an EOF to 'cat' so it will stop.

EOFEOF

echo This is the next line of the script to execute.

Execution of this script results in 'a_file' having 3 lines, and your
screen would look like this:

~> ./my_Script

Put stuff into a_file:

This is the next line of the script to execute.

~>

Typing ^C or an actual control-c in the file would not work, I think.

Rusty