Usenet

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Aug 20 21:08:23 MST 2012

Definitely not a good idea to diy when trying to index/search across a
_lot_ of records like that.  I remember the Agent usenet client back in
the late 90's included a search function once you pulled headers,
searching anything, and then watching as win98 would lock up for 10
minutes.  The indexers and search engines now are great.

Oh yeah, nzbmatrix works best with an api key, you can feed apps
directly from it (most want/require this).  I think it was 7 bucks usd
for a lifetime (or until sued to death, just because).  Service is
mostly well worth it too.

There is some tco involved, but even for me being a cheap bastard, I'd
rather pay $11/mo and $7 once for all the content I could want via
usenet than 180 channels on cox for $150/mo and still be po'd nothing is
on.  The RI|MPAA would sternly disapprove of your choice however as
billionaires might starve to death, or something.

Sickbeard (tv shows), couchpotato (movies), and apparently headphone now
too (for music), are the way to go for ultimate lazy consumer media
harvesting with sab via usenet from a browser or phone.  Search any of
them you'll find a ton of how-to's.

-mb