OT: How to add a second Google Voice number?

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Tue Aug 14 14:47:09 MST 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM,  <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> The plot thickens (see below):
>
>> On Mon, Aug 13 I originally wrote (in part):
>>> I have one Google Voice number for my business, and would like to add
>>> a second GV# for personal use, but can't figure out how to [snipped]
>>> Do I have to have a second/separate Gmail acct to get a second GV#?
>>> Or is there a way to set up two in a single account?
>
> JD Austin replied (in part):
>> You can via multiple email accounts but one account can't have more
>> than one google voice number.
>
> In further searching, I found an article at the link below with this title:
> "Google Voice now lets you have multiple numbers on one account - for a fee."
>
> http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/10/google-voice-now-lets-you-have-multiple-numbers-on-one-account-for-a-fee/#comment-487080738
>
> Two applicable screen captures:
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/gv2.jpg
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/gv4.jpg
>
> This seems to suggest that I could add a second number to the same
> (single) account, but I'm a bit apprehensive about trying to do this
> because I've seen some other articles that seem to indicate that adding a
> second number might cause the loss of the original (existing GGV number)
> which I definitely do not want to lose.

I would test this with a toss-account to confirm the process - once it
works for something you can toss, repeat on something you want to
keep. And as a user, now go over to LongNow.org folks and listen to
Cory Doctorow's talk from last month.  8)
http://longnow.org/seminars/02012/jul/31/coming-century-war-against-your-computer/