Software Contracts

AZ Pete plug at cactusfamily.com
Fri Aug 10 20:40:15 MST 2012

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I posted about some troubles I was having regarding compensation arrangement with a long time client. I received many helpful replies, so thanks to all who shared their thoughts.  I did open a dialog with my client and things are going quite well. We are still working out some of the details, but it looks like we will be able to reach an agreement that will be equitable to both of us.

I would now like to have a more formal contract signed between me and the client such that I can protect my software. It was always understood that I retained copyright and ownership of the software (i.e. client was merely licensing it). I would now like to get that understanding in writing.  Does anyone have a standard contract that they use which has a similar clause in it. Basically, I'm looking for some kind of contract that would:

1) State that I retain ownership and copyright to the software.
2) That they cannot take the software and modify it, distribute it, etc.
3) Other important things that I'm not thinking of. :-)

If anyone can give me a basic contract that they use (remove all references to your personal entity, of course), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Peter

P.S. Also posted to AzPHP list.