ot Online school

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Aug 8 15:35:13 MST 2012

Just FYI, consulting and being around random shops with customer and
vendor docs, I find a lot of the .pptx, docx, or xlsx files are spotty
at best what works under linux, what works sanely (complex
forumlas==poop), and what just crashes openoffice.  Libreoffice is
almost useless with the new formats, as the dev's don't feel they need
to support microsoft's continued forced incompatibility with everyone
else on purpose (can't blame them either).  Obviously M$ doesn't care,
as most people just keep buying office when microsoft tells them to
every few years to stay "compatible" with their own poop.

I keep an xp vm in virtualbox for this reason at all times, generally
with real office (well, as real as usenet gets for clean slipstream
install images), just to make sure if I *have* to resort to exporting
from it to something I can use (2000-03 compat office formats).
Seamless mode under linux i found finally works decently, reduces the
sting of using windows significantly and hides it to keep my linux
desktop cred.  ;)

Likewise creating complex formatted docs are horribly incompatible
usually under real m$office from libre/openoffice, so export as pdf is
your friend when passing back and forth to windoze users.

Really sucks it has to be this way - thanks microsoft.

-mb