ssh in network

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:45:36 MST 2012

server needs to be installed on any and all machines you want to ssh TO.
Server is the component/daemon that listens for a request to connect.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> guess what I just found out.... openssh-server wasn't installed  on the
> laptop. So I installed it and now  netstat has the same line on it that
> says port 22
>

>   sudo netstat -antp | grep 22
>   tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      433/sshd
>
> However, I still can't ssh to the ubuntu. But I scan ssh from  the ubuntu
> to the mint. Yipee!
>

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
>> wrote:
>> >Are you colorblind?
>> ^---------------------------------- only slightly
>>
>> >respond inline.
>>
>> ^---------------------------------------not sure what you mean.
>>
>> >Let's address each item until we resolve things:
>> to the ubuntu.
>> >But you couldn't also ssh BEFORE you did the route add so these are two
>> different things.
>> Yes I could. I could ssh from the laptop to the ubuntu (printserver)
>> until I issued the command ' sudo ip route add 192.168.1.0/24<http://192.168.0.1/24>dev eth0' on the ubuntu on the advice of my google search. Then I tried to
>> delete it and add the proper route (192.168.0.1) but that didn't help any.
>>
>> >Take down your wlan (are you using wicd?)
>>
>> ^-----------Wireless is now off. I don't know what Mint uses... it
>> doesn't say.

>> LISTEN      433/sshd

>> LISTEN      12243/smbd

>> LISTEN      12243/smbd

>> >Good you have sshd listening on port 22 on ubuntu.
>>
>> >You do NOT have sshd (daemon) listening on your laptop.
>>
>> >Be sure you have started it if you want to ssh to the laptop from ubuntu:
>>
>> ># sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
>>
>> >In order to make sure ssh starts at boot in Ubuntu:
>>
>> ># sudo update-rc.d ssh defaults <-------------done
>>
>> >Reference:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBootupHowto

>> connections:

>> >sudo locate Deny|more <------------------no respose
>>
>> >sudo locate iptables-save|more
>>
>> >/sbin/iptables-save
>>
>> >/usr/share/man/man8/iptables-save.8.gz
>>
>> >enter
>>
>> ># sudo iptables-save
>>
>> >You are looking to see if your iptables is up and configured to firewall
>> ssh.  Dump the response in here.
>>
>>  bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$ sudo locate iptables-save
>> /sbin/iptables-save
>> /usr/share/man/man8/iptables-save.8.gz
>> bmike1 at Michaels-PC:~$
>>

>> >Oops, sorry wrong link! ddclient is for opendns dynamic dns entries,
>> that logs into your provider and resets a public ip when needed.  Turn it
>> down for now:*
>> # sudo /etc/init.d/ddclient stop*

>> >Here's how to set it up (once you get ssh setup); it requires an opendns
>> account.
>> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264710
> [...]

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.