scp in reverse?

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:20:45 MST 2012

well... yeah. I knew that. I was really asking how one did that. I mean
like do you drop the user name and it would be '<source_ip>:thatfile this
file' or 'thisfile <destination_ip>:that file'.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:25 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> Michael, "names" on a network are fake.
> There are only IP address in a network .
> You "translate a name" into its corresponding IP address via a "name
> resolution service"
> A "name resolution service" can be as simple as an /etc/hosts file or as
> complex as a full blown self-replicating/redundant name server (like bind).
> At the end, EVERYTHING goes via an IP address, so your question might
> actually work in reverse:
>
>> I was wondering.... could you do this via NAMEs?
>>
> Yes, assuming that the name can be translated via some "name resolution
> service"
> ET
>

> Michael Havens writes:
>
>> I was wondering.... could you do this via ipaddress?
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
>> kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, scp (like cp) will copy back or forth, the 2 commands below are
>>> legal:
>>> scp myuser at remotebox:/that/file /this/path
>>> scp /this/path myuser at remotebox:/that/file
>>> 1st one will 'retrieve' /that/file from 'remotebox' into /this/path
>>> 2nd one will copy /this/path to /that/file in 'remotebox'.
>>> ET

>> --